top of page

What is the Difference between a Psychologist and a Psychiatrist?

Psychologists hold doctoral degrees, and typically will have completed their graduate university training in  psychology.

The differences between mental health professions are shown below in a handy chart has developed by the Ontario Psychological Association. Please click below for the chart.


Only members of the College of Psychologists of Ontario may use the title ‘psychologist’ or ‘psychological associate’; use the terms ‘psychology’ or ‘psychological’ in any description of services provided.


Only Psychologists may identify themselves with the designation C.Psych. after their names.

Psychological Associates

Only psychological associates may identify themselves with the designation C.Psych.Assoc. after their names.


Only members of CRPO can use the protected title “Registered Psychotherapist”, along with the professional designation, RP.

bottom of page